12.03.2019Proposals by Amalipe Center concerning the National Education Programs for 2019
Within the framework of the public consultation procedure on the national education programs draft for 2019, Amalipe Center submitted proposals on three national programs: "Assistance to Municipalities for Educational Desegregation Activities", "Development of the Preschool Education System "and" Together for every child ".
Concerning the "Assistance to Municipalities for Implementation of Educational Desegration Activities" National Program:
Amalipe Center welcomes the introduction of the national program "Assistance to Municipalities for Implementation of Educational Desegration Activities", which will help municipalities to ensure equal access to quality education for children and students attending segregated educational institutions by implementing a process of educational desegregation! The proposed program covers important activities from any desegregation effort.
At the same time, the draft of the Program contains important shortcomings to be overcome by:
1. Introduction of sub-activity 4.2. "Motivational campaigns with parents from segregated institutions / segregated neighborhoods to support education in an ethnically-mixed environment. They can also be implemented by any organization working on the field in the community concerned ";
2. Introduction of a new activity "Appointment of educational mediators to work with parents in the host schools: implemented by the municipality or an NGO engaged by it";
3. The eligibility requirement for candidates "at least three educational institutions available on the territory of the settlement where the activities will be carried out and the presence of one or several segregated educational institutions in the same location" shall be reformulated to "at least three educational institutions on the territory of the settlement where the activities will be carried out as well as the presence of one or several segregated educational institutions in the same settlement or the presence of separate neighbourhoods with predominantly Roma population and a threat of secondary segregation"
See the full text of the Position here( in Bulgarian language)
Concerning "Development of the Preschool Education System" National Program:
Amalipe Center supports the proposed change in the national program "Development of the Preschool Education System". Undoubtedly, there is a need for investment in preschool education, through national programs.
At the same time, the proposed limited funding would not allow a visible development of the system and would be more relevant to a pilot project than to a national program.
To overcome this weakness we propose:
1. Significant increase of the budget of the national program "Development of the Preschool Education System";
2. The proposed evaluation criteria to be completed with "Priority will be given to projects of nurseries that do not collect fees or any other payments from parents": the abolition of kindergarten fees is a national policy that should be supported through various means, incl. through the proposed national program.
Concerning the "Together for Every Child" National Program:
Amalipe Center welcomes the introduction of a national program "Together for Every Child" for a second year.
We propose to double the budget of Module "Good Practices for Interaction of Educational Institutions with Parents", as well as the maximum permissible budget of a single project.
See the full text of the Position here (in Bulgarian language)